Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Studying abroad in Korea? Packing list (mainly health supplies)

It's about that time of year when exchange students start coming to Korea.
So, I decided to write a list of some packing tips I have (combined with suggestions from my friends who also studied abroad in Korea).

The school year is a little different in Korean universities than America. (This post will be written from (mainly) an American perspective)
Students have a very long winter break.

Typical schedule:
Summer school: Late June through August
Fall semester: September through mid-December
Spring: March through late June

Just leave a comment if you have a question about if you should pack something or not. Or, if you don't want to post publicly, send me an email and I'll try my best to give you a well-informed opinion.

Moving to and Living in Korea Series!
Part 1: Packing for study/living in Korea
Part 2: Getting a Phone in Korea
Part 3: Doing Laundry in Korea

I studied at Yonsei University (in Seoul) and Kyunghee University (International campus in Suwon/Yongin) as an exchange student, so most of my (and my friends') experiences are rather Seoul-centric.

Apart from the normal stuff you bring on trips, I will give some tips about stuff I didn't think about my first trip.

Clothing:
Keep in mind that Korea does have all four seasons!
That being said, Korea is also a shopping paradise (more info) and I'm sure you won't be able to resist shopping.
However, many Korean clothes are "one size," so if your body proportions are bigger or smaller than average, you will probably want to pack a little differently, since shopping may be a little difficult.

Fluffy winter sweaters are my favorite and Korea has a plethora! Keep that in mind because sweaters are quite bulky and difficult to pack.

Pants are the bane of my existence. For me, I am usually able to find some okay pants in Korea, but that's because I have short legs. If you have longer legs, it may be difficult to find pants here. However, there are H&M and Forever21 stores everywhere and plenty of American outlets like Guess and Levis in many of the shopping malls and department stores.

For ladies over about a US size 8, you probably want to bring a little more clothes than ladies around a size 2. A lot of Korean clothes is "free size," which can be good, but also can be disastrous. I have noticed that a lot of stores don't really stock over a size 10, or if they do, they stock a very small amount of product.

Also, if you are a little more busty, you may want to make sure you bring plenty of bras. There are a few brands here that do stock for bigger chests, but if you are not in Seoul, sometimes they're hard to find. 

Shoes:
I, personally, cannot buy shoes in the United States, so I don't really bring many shoes with me to Korea and try to buy them here. However, the Korean foot size is increasing somewhat rapidly and it's starting to become difficult to find my size here (American size=2.5~3; Korean size=220~225). On the other end of the spectrum, it's quite difficult to find shoes for girls if your American shoe size is about 8.5 or larger.

For men, I have heard it is quite difficult to find shoes that are bigger than a size 11 or so, especially if you are not located in Seoul!

Health: (This advice is moot if you have a friend with/get a Costco Korea membership)
Toothpaste!!My dentist was so upset with me when I came back from living in Korea for a year and using Korean toothpaste! Korean toothpaste usually has no fluoride. 

Toothbrushes:
If you have a specific toothbrush bristle type or head size, make sure to pack enough!
One of my friends is very partial to Oral B toothbrushes and didn't realize they wouldn't sell them here!

Dental Floss:
One of my friends' mom swears by Johnson & Johnson dental floss, so I picked some up for her when I went to NYC since it's not available in Seoul.

Deodorant:
Korea has just started stocking deodorant, but it's not totally reliably available (especially if you live outside of Seoul).
Deodorant is also pretty expensive here since not many people use it and the brands are quite limited.
If you use extra strength or clinical strength, it's virtually impossible to find here.

Feminine Hygiene:
For ladies, if you use tampons, make sure you pack these! It's very difficult to find tampons in Seoul. When you do, they are usually teeny boxes of like 6 and are pretty expensive because Koreans typically only use tampons for swimming or something like that.

If you use pads, Korean brands are quite good. My friend swear by the natural cotton one. I'll have to check on the brand name and maybe upload a picture here for you to help you shop.

Sunscreen:
Korea does have a ton of options for sunscreen, but they are so artificial and full of many more chemicals than are necessary. They are also pretty ineffective.
I don't have sensitive skin, but even I have difficulties with most of the brands I have tried here. I break out in crazy rashes...it's terrible.
Many of my Korean friends even buy American sunscreen online and warn me to never buy Korean brands.

Bug Spray:
If you're prone to mosquito bites, Korean summer may be hell for you.
Pack some mosquito repellent if you have a specific brand you swear by. There are some Korean alternatives, but they haven't helped me as much as my trusty Off!

Cortisone:
Semi-related to bug spray. I am SUPER allergic to Korean mosquitoes and it's terrible when I forget to bring my cortisone/anti-itch cream with me. I have tried to ask at the pharmacy for cortisone, but the pharmacists tell me they can't give it to me and, instead, give me either a cooling rollerball stick or else Tiger Balm. The cooling rollerball stick is nice for very temporary relief, but it doesn't really help with the long-term swelling and itchiness.

Vitamins:
Vitamins are famously expensive in Korea. So much that usually my Korean American friends bring back vitamins for their families when they visit.
Since your diet will likely change a bit when you come, you might just want to bring some vitamins, just to make sure you're getting proper amount of vitamins and minerals.

Lactase:
If you're lactose-intolerant/lactose-sensitive, you'll definitely want to pack enough of these pills! Even though many Koreans can't handle lactose, many pharmacies do not stock these pills/don't know what it is.
My friend and I went to about 20 pharmacies looking for them and every time we asked, we were handed probiotics.

Probiotics:
This brings me to probiotics! They're kind of expensive everywhere, but in Korea they're crazy expensive. Maybe 100,000 KRW for like 10 capsules.
If you rely on probiotics, make sure you bring some with you!

Pain pills:
Korean pharmacies are very different from American ones.
If you are prone to muscle pain or headaches, make sure you pack your own ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc. You can get it here, but they'll come in packs of 10 or something and be expensive.

Allergy medicine:
I have crazy allergies, so Benedryl is definitely something I need to get through spring.
It's not really available here in cost effective forms, so I always make sure to pack it when I come.

Cold pills:
You an buy some typical cold medicine here, but some of it that is OTC in the US is available by prescription here.
I usually bring some Sudafed, Nyquil, etc. just in case because I react kind of poorly to Korean medicine.

Prescriptions: 
It is relatively easy to get prescriptions in Korea, just make sure everything is current and talk to your health clinic at school.
Also, you don't need a prescription for birth control pills in Korea, but your brand may not be available, so talk with your regular physician before coming to figure out some viable alternatives.

Eyeglasses/Contacts
If you have glasses or contacts, you should also bring a current prescription.
Korean eyeglasses stores do have very nice style frames and great prices! Luckily, if you have a smaller or Asian face, the eyeglasses here will likely fit your face better.
If your glasses are your current prescription, don't fret. The store will just measure them and make your new glasses based off that prescription.
For contacts, Korean stores may not have your brand, especially if you wear monthly lenses. So, talk to your eye doctor about alternatives, too. Additionally, in Korea, contact lenses are really expensive! My particular brand I can buy online for usually 30 USD is at least 50-60 per box depending on the store (since they're not covered by insurance, the individual stores can set their own price).
You do not need to pack contact solution! Korean stores carry most of the big name lens solutions (ie. Renu, BioTrue, Opti Free, Boston, AO Sept, etc).

Food:
I'm a junk food addict, so this is what I pack a lot of, usually.

Microwave popcorn - Hard to find here
Coffee - I always pack a French press and ground coffee when I come (although Korea has tons of cafes, I like drinking coffee at home in the morning before work). You can buy some brands of coffee here, but if you have a specific brand you like, you might want to pack a little just for comfort food.

Many of my Scandinavian friends pack packages of hard bread, just as a comfort food. Many of my European friends also pack chocolates.

Cheese - It's technically not allowed to bring into Korea, but I know many people who bring cheese with them from Europe and just risk it at customs.

Basically, just pack any comfort food!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post! I am planning to go to Kyunghee University by this March. Unfortunately I will study in Seoul Campus, I guess. But I would like to ask your experience in Global Campus as well regarding living there lol
    Now, the question! What are the things you wish you didn't bring from States?
    Where do you live in your stay in Kyunghee? Dormitory? Are students allowed to cook or do we need to eat out in dormitory? What kind of shoes did you pack and is there any particular shoes that you have not worn yet since your stay in South Korea?
    What are you majoring, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!
      My Kyunghee experience was probably a little non-traditional. I received a scholarship from the US Government, so everything was kind of provided. We lived in the dorm and I believe there was a public kitchen in the basement, but my friends and I basically ate out all the time. You can't have a hot plate or anything in your room (as is the case in dormitories all around the world), but each floor has a water cooler, so you can make cup ramyun or the like. Additionally, student cafeterias are about 3-4,000 KRW per meal, so it's not a hardship.
      I overpacked clothes that time. It was my first time in Korea, so I didn't know how accessible the clothes would be (I'm Korean and of average Korean size).
      I have to buy my shoes here because I can't buy shoes in the US.
      My major is irrelevant at this point, I am kind of old...haha

      I used to work kind of near the Kyunghee Seoul Campus a few years ago while I was in grad school at Columbia. Let me just say that it's OUT THERE. Since I went to only Yonsei and SNU, which are far more central, I have only been to Kyunghee Seoul campus like one time. That being said, it's kind of nearby HUFS and Korea University, but yeah, Yonsei and SNU people don't really get over to that side of town because it's so far away.

      Have fun! Keep reading the blog! I have been updating a lot more recently with new content :)
      I also just created a Facebook page, so please like the page (www.facebook.com/eatstretchexplore) and follow the blog on instagram (www.instagram.com/eatstretchexplore)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...