Search This Blog

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Sorry for my absence!

Hello,
I apologize for my absence! I have been really sick for the past month with meningitis and I was finally hospitalized for it a couple of weeks ago.
I have absolutely no faith in the Korean medical system at this point, but that's a detailed story for another day!

I AM BACK! Posts will be coming starting tomorrow!!



I hope for any of you readers that you never get sick in Korea! Like really sick, something more complicated than a simple cold. They won't know what to do with you!

I literally went to the doctor 1+ months ago and told him to test me for meningitis. He laughed at me and told me that patients never know what they need and then just gave me antibiotics WITHOUT testing for anything and told me to come back in 3 days for more antibiotics (again WITHOUT TESTING ME!).

This is so worrisome, not just because of my strong background in medical science and public health, but just because superbugs are real and it's just a matter of time before they completely strike in Korea! The population will be unprepared for it and will definitely be at a disadvantage because of the complete over-prescription of antibiotics here for any visit to a healthcare clinic. Additionally, Korean docs do not diagnose anyone, they just throw broad spectrum antibiotics at it and just wait until it runs its course.

Anyway, that was a brief look into my rant about how failed the Korean health system is, I will organize more and post again if there are any other health/medical nerds out there! (I can also go into the health insurance system here and why it's also flawed - I used to work for the health insurance agency, so I really know the system from both a provider, overseer, and consumer perspective!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...